DFW Homeschool Cafe
If you are still homeschooling in the DFW area, we have a Facebook group you can join. You can find us under the group name DFW Homeschool Cafe (Network & Meetup). You have to log into facebook to use the direct link. https://www.facebook.com/groups/488790851319302/

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

DFW Homeschool Cafe
If you are still homeschooling in the DFW area, we have a Facebook group you can join. You can find us under the group name DFW Homeschool Cafe (Network & Meetup). You have to log into facebook to use the direct link. https://www.facebook.com/groups/488790851319302/
DFW Homeschool Cafe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Washington's Farewell Address PDF

Go down

Washington's Farewell Address PDF Empty Washington's Farewell Address PDF

Post by tlynn91 Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:45 pm

Here is a historical document that (I was told) used to be commonly studied in public schools. I'm not sure when this was taken out, but it is still of great importance. I never read or heard of this until recently, so it seemed like a good idea to share a link with anyone who would like to print a copy.

This is very insightful. I really enjoyed reading how Washington pinpointed the dangers of factions. All this time, I thought they were necessary in a democratic republic. We learn something new everyday! Here is an excerpt:

The alternate domination of one faction over another, sharpened by the spirit of revenge natural to party dissension, which in different ages and countries has perpetrated the most horrid enormities, is itself a frightful despotism. But this leads at length to a more formal and permanent despotism. The disorders and miseries which result gradually incline the minds of men to seek security and repose in the absolute power of an individual, and sooner or later the chief of some prevailing faction, more able or more fortunate than his competitors, turns this disposition to the purposes of his own elevation on the ruins of public liberty.

Here is a PDF link: Farewell Address

This one has the full address:
Farewell Address 2

Enjoy!

Last edited by tlynn91 on Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:27 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added another link)
tlynn91
tlynn91
Toddler
Toddler

Location Location : Ft. Worth, Texas
Mood : happy

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum